Saturday, July 15, 2017

Tibor Hajnal

Tibor Hajnal
I noticed this recumbent bicycle in Västerhaninge. Didn't think it was that special until I noticed the electric battery. So I stopped the guy and asked for a few photos. This is Tibor Hajnal. Works as a teacher at Ågesta folkhögskola in Farsta. Lives in Västerhaninge. Born in Yugoslavia, moved to Sweden as a kid. Grew up in Enköping. Later he moved to Handen. He bought the unusual bike from the guy who built it. Tibor has beaten cancer, and is slowly getting his strength back. He hopes to be able to ride to and from work in a not too distant future. He asked me where I was going after I had snapped a few photos and as we were heading the same way we continued to talk while cycling. That turned out to be a bit tricky because Tibor cheated and used his batter power and, boy his bike can fly! He then asked more specifically were I was headed and I told him that it was time for lunch at Malmens konditori, my favorite cafe. He then asked me, who do you know at the cafe? Everyone I answered. Do you know Tompa Eken ? I see him every day was my response. How about Gunnar Borg? On a weekly basis I said. Turns out Tibor used to hang with the Ultrahuset crowd back in the day. Years ago Tibor was a member of a photography club but that was back in the analogue day. This far come in the conversation we said our goodbyes and I turned right as he continued straight ahead as he was on his way to his daughters place. I have a feeling Tibor might drop in at the cafe any day now.

5 comments:

William Kendall said...

Quite a conversation! I can't recall seeing a bike like that here.

Bill said...

What an interesting bike. Small world when you meet someone new and you both know the same people.

Bob Crowe said...

Terrific composition, particularly the way the mirror lines up with the right lens of his sunglasses.

s.c said...

Very nice conversation and bike of course.

Jack said...

A fun composition. You had the chance to photograph him when still. I only see recumbent bicycles when moving. You had a lot in common.